Wednesday, February 16, 2011

First Day In My Field Experience

Today from 8:30 to 10:30, I went to a 5th grade classroom.  When I first walked to the door all the kids were looking at me with big eyes wondering what was going on.  Mrs. Steffes introduced me as Ms. Becker and told them I was going to be helping out. The first half hour I was there, I worked with students in English.  They were working on a reveiw assignment because they have a test the next day. 

Then, the next hour I worked with students that had any questions regarding to Math.  Today, they learned how to find the perimiter of an object.  It was very exciting to see how the students were so eger to learn.  They were practicing problems on the board and as soon as Mrs. Steffes would ask for the answer, the students hands would fly up into the air.  It was all so very exciting to watch them get so excited. 

The last half hour was a study hall.  The students worked on homework that they didn't get done in their previous class.  I worked one-on-one with a little boy named Cory.  We worked on finding the common denominator for fractions, which was pretty difficult for him.  When we were done, the teacher asked Cory if it helped having someone work with him and he nodded his head up and down.  When he left he had a big smile on his face.  This felt good that I was able to help him.  Overall, I'm very excited to continue going to help out in the 5th grade classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment